An Ecological Kitchen | Kitchen Equipment | Cooking & Wine Tasting | Cooking Classes
People choose a vegetarian diet for different reasons. Some decide for personal health or spiritual reasons; others are motivated by animal treatment, economic or environmental reasons.
Lacto- diet includes dairy
Ovo- diet includes eggs
Lacto-ovo- diet includes dairy and eggs
Vegans- diet exclude any animal
products, including honey
And many people put themselves into
varying categories, such as, not eating red
meat, eating only chicken, eating only
fish, and so on.
Whether you find yourself along this
spectrum or not, we all benefit from
Why whole foods?
The closer to the form in which the plant grows, the more nutrients it has. Thus, whole grain products provide more nutrition that refined ones, i.e., brown rice and white refined rice.
Why local and organic?
- Increase health benefits----organic foods are found to have higher levels of many nutrients due to healthy fertile soil, and buying locally maintains the nutritional content through shorter storage and transport times.
- Promote food safety----organic producers have additional stringent regulations to minimize food safety risks on both the development of seed and the production of both produce and animals.
- Preserve the environment----locally grown food travels less distance to market, reducing carbon dioxide emissions and harmful packaging materials. Conventional farming pollutes our groundwater with repeated applications of toxic fertilizers. Organic practices also help to provide safe habitats for a variety of animal life.
- Foster biodiversity----decentralized, local farming maintains more crop varieties, enriches soil life, uses wild plants and animals to combat pests and disease, and encourages a multiplicity of authentic plant and animal forms, necessary to produce offspring for the future.
- Support local economy and community----buying local keeps the dollars circulating in the community, supports jobs and family farms, and builds healthy food relationships.
- Taste the difference----experience the exceptional flavor of market ripened produce when farming can focus on taste, not shipping endurance and shelf life.
- Money votes---when you buy local you are voting with your food dollar and supporting a sound local economy, and future food policy. Local produce costs less as well.